Unavoidable as it is, we are destined to age over time. Our natural ageing process is dependent on time and genetics. Photoageing on the other hand is ageing caused by exposure to UV radiations and is responsible for over 90 percent of ageing of our skin. Photoageing can begin as early as our teen years and its repercussions can be quite severe.
UVA and UVB Radiation
Widely known for posing a risk to our skin, UVA and UVB radiation impact the skin quite differently;
- UVB rays penetrate to the outer layer of our skin, the epidermis. It attacks the cell nuclei, damaging the DNA in this layer of the skin and causing other changes to the cells. This may result in early signs of photoageing and over time precancerous cells which may lead to the development of skin cancers.
UVA rays while also damaging the epidermis, penetrate deeper into the skin, to the level of the dermis. At this level it attacks collagen and elastin causing cutaneous slackening and wrinkle formation.
The good news is that photoageing can be avoided with good sun protection habits.
At Masque we recommend the following;
- Use an SPF 30 or 50 sunscreen that not only offers protection against UVB and UVA rays but promotes anti ageing benefits. The Mary Cohr Science UV range contains UVA and UVB sun filters, plant based DNA that protects the DNA of living cells, elastoprotein to protect elastin fibres and collagen, as well as melanin to reproduce the skin’s natural defence mechanism against sun exposure and offers additional protection against blue light. Blue light is not only emitted by the sun but through artificial light sources such as LED light bulbs and screens and can cause the formation of premature wrinkles and dark spots.
- Wear sunglasses and protect your eyes. Compared to the rest of the face, the skin around the eye contour is 3 times thinner, more sensitive to UV light, has less natural protection and tends to slacken quicker so it is important to protect it from sun exposure.
- Help your natural skin’s defence mechanism against sun exposure. At Masque we offer the CatioVital (Sun), a facial that specifically works on infusing ingredients that prepare the skin for sun exposure but also helps to repair any sun damage.
- Spray or self tan. Prevention is best against sun damage but we appreciate the nice feeling of having sun kissed glowing skin. Why not try a spray tan or self tan treatment which not only leave your skin with a natural tan look without the sun damage but nourished as well.