If statistics and history tell us something 80% off us have already faltered on our new years resolution. That’s why at Masque Day Spa, we are tackling 2018 a little differently. We are going to set challenges for ourselves, for our clients and extend the challenge to you. These challenges are aimed to assist us to better care for our skin and what better way to start than with the basics, cleansing.
Masque Skin Care Challenge #1: To properly cleanse your skin each night
Did you know, regularly going to bed without cleansing can age your skin 7 times faster? That alone is a pretty good reason to take a few minutes to cleanse before going to bed… your pillowcase will thank you too! Here are a few more compelling reasons;
- Breakouts: Sleeping with foundations and/or thick, oil based primers causes pores to clog promoting the development of acne and breakouts.
- Wrinkles and Dull Complexion: Make-up inhibits the skin from renewing itself at night, increasing exposure to free radicals leading to collagen breakdown, sagging, fine lines and a dull complexion.
- Dryness: Residue make up create a barrier against the benefits of subsequent skin care products, so your beloved moisturiser will find it hard to penetrate into the skin to do its job of nourishing your skin.
- Eye Infections: Sleeping with mascara and thick liner may result in the clogging of the tiny hair follicles and oil glands on your eyelids which can lead to infections such as styes.
- Eye Irritation: Rubbing against your pillow during the night, eye make up will not only end up on your pillow but in your eyes which can lead to significant eye irritation.
- Broken Eyelashes: Left on mascara can cause eyelashes to become brittle, break easily and even shed faster.
- Chapped Lips: That fabulous lipstick could also be zapping your pout of moisture if you leave it too long. Sleeping with any type of lipstick will result in dryness and chapping.
No make up, no need to cleanse = Wrong!
Free radicals from our environment (pollution, air conditioners, heaters etc) remain on the skin when we don’t clean our face properly at night. Free radicals cause premature ageing and dull complexion so it is important to cleanse our skin even if you don’t wear make up.
Tips to overcome face washing/makeup removing adversity
Tip #1: Change routine at night to include an additional 3 minutes to cleanse your face. Position your cleanser visibly next to toothbrush to serve as a reminder.
Tip # 2: Change mindset about cleansing your skin; make it a priority, a ritual. Cleansing away the day by cleansing your face before bed.
Tip # 3: Keep a cleanser with cotton pads on your bedside table just in case the bathroom reminders didn’t work. Quick wipe with a micellar water will do the trick.
Cleansing doesn’t need to be complicated or time consuming. There are plenty of products available that are suited to time poor skin routines as well as to price concerns and textural preferences.
Here are our favourite cleansers for time poor individuals;
Mary Cohr Perfect Gel Cleanser (Jo’s Favourite)
This three in one cleanser is applied to dry skin as a gel, with emulsion (rubbing) it becomes an oil to remove stubborn make up, then by adding a dash of water it converts to a milk cleanser leaving you skin thoroughly clean and soft. RRP $52.00
Mary Cohr Ecobiology Foam (Karen’s favorite)
This cleansing foam gently cleanses the skin, while preserving its natural defences. Formulated with 100% natural active ingredients and enriched with a water-softening agent, this soap-free cleanser leaves the skin feeling fresh and comfortable. RRP $50.00
Payot Eau Micellaire Express (Lucy’s favourite)
This micellar water with raspberry extracts cleanses and removes make up from face and eyes in a single step. Just apply product onto cotton pads and wipe the make up off. Its cool water texture leaves skin feeling refreshed, great for summer. RRP $40.00
Mary Cohr Fresh Cleansing Cream (Stef’s favourite)
For those that enjoy a cream texture, this cleanser is not only great for eliminating all dirt and grime but is nourishing and soothing with aloe vera, lavender, rosemary and sage as the key ingredients. RRP $54.00
Our skin is programmed to renew itself at night so not cleansing properly will hinder our natural process of taking care of our skin. Only a few minutes commitment is all you need. Are you ready to take on the challenge? Share your experiences with us on our Facebook or Instagram pages.